Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Jama's Wedding Weekend

Let me do some general housekeeping before I begin. Yes, I do realize I skipped most of the summer. If only I could have skipped the summer in real life too, I'd still be in my 20's.

I have just finished reading two really good books that I recommend you read. By Kate Jacobs,
The Friday Night Knitting Club and by Sloane Crosley, I Was Told There'd Be Cake. Both are great tributes to single women living in NYC and Sloane reminds me of myself just a little bit. There are some classic essays around being a bridesmaid that I related to a little too much. Right now I'm reading David Sedaris' When You Are Engulfed in Flames. So far, it's real good too!

So, yeah, Jama and Zac's wedding was in Lawrence this past weekend. Very fun to see some old friends and familiar faces. It reminded me of happier times, when life was a little more innocent. It's good to be around those friends.

It was a great wedding. Really beautiful and it's always more fun when you know both the bride and the groom well. And any bride that will go to the Ranch in her gown is a winner hands down!

Jama and myself at the Ranch (I changed):














Here's a picture of Shayla, Jama and myself at West on Night Two:















My flight back...


So, I don't know about you guys, but I talk to myself in my head a lot. Well, pretty much all the time when I'm by myself and 50% of the time with other people around. Is that normal? Anyway, I was on my plane about to fly back to Chicago partaking in a rather dull conversation with myself.

This conversation went something like this. "The girl in the window is already asleep, must be nice, I'd go to sleep but I'm going to have to get up if someone wants the middle seat. Please no one sit next to me. Wait, what if all the normal people walk past me and I get stuck next to a freak that wants to talk the whole time. Or better yet, what if there's a really cute guy because I willed no one sit next to me and I miss out. But what if people take one look at me and decide they hate me and don't want to sit next to me? And I get stuck with someone who stinks or takes up a seat and a half? Oh I hope someone cool and normal sits next to me. What if I get someone stinky or really, really fat. That's never happened to me before. But I have sat next to attractive men and had good conversations before. Oh, maybe I'll meet the man of my dreams on this plane. Or another plane someday. Maybe... "

And then, someone pulls me from my daydream asking if they can "squeeze into the seat next to you?" Literally. Let me just say that one of my premonitions came true and it didn't involve the man of my dreams or B.O. Oh, and p.s. it was a woman anyway.

"Here we go" I think to myself, "so much for sleeping on the plane. I'm going to be jammed into the armrest the whole flight." Well, come to find out it actually wasn't that bad! It was kind of comfortable. It was like having a body pillow next to you in bed, kinda sick huh? It wasn't like I was cuddling with the body pillow, but it was just next to your arm. Really I don't care, I slept so good on that flight, I passed out before the flight attendant could even bring me my ginger ale!

May you have as pleasant a flight experience as this next time you fly.

No comments:

About The Author

My photo
Mwanza, Tanzania
I am originally from Kansas, but have lived in KC, San Diego and Chicago working in the media and event planning industries. I am currently the Administrative Director at JBFC (Janada Batchelor Foundation for Children) in Kitongo, Tanzania. This is just outside Mwanza, on beautiful Lake Victoria.

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter